Saturday, July 9, 2011

We are getting somewhere.

Today Pippin showed excellent progress. With my log in hand we went thru and “reviewed” several exercises. Because of the ball and attention issue, we went outside. Today was much better. As Pippin saw the platforms and other training stuff come out, he was focused and excited. We were able to go thru all the “heel” positions with the large platforms and what was so great was his attention. He knew what to do and he was focused on me. We had fun with things we have not done outside yet – fetching the dumbbell and a metal article. For the second time with the metal article, he did very well. Gloves, direction work (right, left, away-to-me and come-by) all went smoothly. Then “Dad” came in the back yard to work and I lost him to the “possible ball thrower!” Great time to come in and get my pup back! I used some quick figure 8 exercises to get him back and then I set up some jumps, grabbed the ball and we did some agility work. Totally ignored Dad!! So, in training and at home, I still "have to be better than the squirrel!" HA!

He is now pooped, and I know that I am now going to be moving on to more complex exercises.

It is an interesting concept of having to teach someone something that does not understand your language. That is what we are doing with our dogs, right? We find a common ground – the lure – and then attach words to the movements and reward with the cookie when the movement is done correctly. Harder than it sounds – because we have to be exact as to when we reward. I wonder if there is a way to bring this into a human classroom where someone does not understand the language. As a substitute teacher, I am always looking for ways to reach each and every student. A bit harder as many times I am only with them for one day, yet, I don’t want that one day to be a “lost learning” day. So, how to use the concept of clicker training in the classroom – you have to find the right “lure”, right steps of the process and then “click” and reward at the right moment. Harder with humans, but intriguing still the same. A great challenge. Something to think about this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment