Sunday, July 31, 2011

Pip’s Tough Lesson

Tonight Pippin learned a very tough lesson: When I ask for attention – I mean it.

Some background here:

The backyard is Pippin’s play area as well as training. Well – he plays ball (fetch) when we throw his ball into the ravine area of our yard. He trains on the sports court that is off to the side. When my hubby and/or kids go out in the yard, they usually play with Pippin if they are doing yard work or just hanging out.

So, tonight, I take Pippin to the sports court planning on trying a new treibball training move. Pippin sees my hubby working and I see Pip’s attention flying back and forth between me and hubby. Now – here’s is another point – I always reward Pippin after “working” with some ball throwing. But he has to wait. Tonight, he decided that he was not going to wait,so he ditched me and ran to hubby – who looked at me with a big question on his face. He asked “is this my fault?” OF COURSE NOT! Pip made a decision – and he will be finding out it was not the right choice. Can dog’s make choices? I believe that they can, and do. Pip made a choice to ditch the cookies and big ball that he loves for the little ball that he loves more. Bad choice.

Called to everyone to ignore Pippin. We all left the yard. Finally, he came in the house, sulking. I just took him, and sat him in front of me, not really petting, but just holding him. The boys and hubby went out back to finish their work. I could feel every muscle trembling – he was dying to go out back to play ball. Nope – can’t ditch me in work and get away with it.

That’s the tough choice. Did he know that his choice earlier led to this? I truly am not sure, but I held on and talked to him calmly (explaining what I was doing. Who knows if he understood). Finally, calling out to family to ignore Pip, I let go and followed him (who raced out in a flash) to the yard to try SIMPLE work. After running around the boys a bit, he realized that they were not going to throw the ball. I went to the sports court and waited.

Now, little Pug was watching and raced to the court. What the hey! Let’s Work! So, Pug and I worked, Pip was ignored, Genny watched and … Pip finally seemed to get it. He came to the court and watched. I tried to include him in but he tried to ditch again, so we went on without him. He came back and this time I put him in a down stay (had to place him) and kept working with Pug (he was having fun). Then I sat in front of Pip, told him to sit. He did, but his attention was not on me – it was on the boys (“were they going to ever throw that ball????”). So – we did attention work. That is all. When he looked at me, click and cookie. Then I gave the command and he caught on real quick. “Ready” LOOK click-cookie. We did this many times. Tail starts to wag. Then I do a simple go out and around exercise with the chair. That is it. We do it a few times. This time, he is focused on me, and totally ignores the family. I think we have it. Lots of praise. Lots of fun.

Then, I get the ball.

I see the “light bulb” go off. We play a bit and go inside.

This Border Collie is really thinking and he is trying hard to make sure he understands what choices are. He wants to be in charge, but there are times when he can be, and then times when someone else has to be.

I have to be in command here. When we are in the ring, the family will be around (they video our freestyle competitions). He has to be able to ignore them. He has to know, when we are working, even if the ball throwers are around, we are working. Then, after work, comes play.

No comments:

Post a Comment