Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Outside work - competition with the Ball

I have not been writing as much, but we have been working bits and pieces each day. As the weather is (finally!!) getting nice, we have been working outdoors on our little sports court in back. So – lately in the last few months – Pippin has been playing mainly ball in the back. I would work agility mostly with the ball throwing and some freestyle moves. Jeremy would also have Pippin work (one trick gets the ball thrown) but Peter just gives Pippin the free play time. All are fine. Peter does not think that Pippin has to work every time. Jeremy and I like to have him use his brain more as he is so OCD on that BALL!

So, when I bring the training stuff outside these last couple of days – big confusion!! He will work, but he keeps looking out into the ravine in case I throw the ball. The last couple of days has been a bit more frustrating for me as I feel that I am competing with the ball. But, patience is paying. The end of the sessions is ball time. But, we have fun during the sessions – great cookies – fun jumping – super petting.

I have been using my log to help me plan my sessions. He still loves platform work and today I was noticing the split attention that dogs can give. We were working on back paw work (3 & 4) and he can lift his back right just fine, but the back left gives him trouble. Here is the kicker – he is looking off into the ravine or neighbor’s yard while working. I am watching closely. He IS paying attention to me, yet he is also paying attention to over there. He does not miss a beat with me. Hmmm – while I am not thrilled with this, I do see that this can help with ring side distraction. If he can learn to give me the attention needed to work with me and still have that distraction – that can be really helpful. Yet I really NEED him to have 100% attention given to me and to learn to ignore that side yard. So – we are going to work in the back yard more often until I get that 100% and more. And then, when I can, move to other areas!

He loves movement work more than stationary work. Heck – most of us do. I remember in ballet as a kid – bar work was okay (stationary stuff) but what I really wanted was the center movement stuff where we really got to move. That’s Pippin as well. Yet – the stationary work is so important to get to the big movement stuff and I realize that I have to mix it up for Pippin so that way I don’t lose him. I can see why some people drop it as it is not as fun in their eyes. So – if we do some stationary work right into movement, back to stationary, etc then I can keep and build the attention and excitment (hopefully). Well – I tried this today and by the end of our 30 min, Pippin was tired, HAPPY, and he worked well with lots of good energy.

I am happy with my log. I am happy with my dog. What more could I want? (okay a back that can bend, but heck that is coming!)

No comments:

Post a Comment