Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Relationships

Outside of training – what is our relationship? Okay, so with my dogs, I have my goals; I want to train to succeed in a freestyle and/or agility relationship. We enjoy the sport, we enjoy the training. Great! But, outside of that, what do my dogs and I have together?

When I thought about this, I realized that the beauty of having more than one dog is that I get to experience more than one relationship. Each one is so different.

I would like to start with Genevieve. I call her “My beauty”. She is a beautiful dog with gentle eyes. Loves to please, but will leave the area if she senses any sort of tension. Too often, she will be sleeping near me while I am on the computer, and if I get mad at the computer (who doesn’t) she will get up and leave. And often, I find myself getting up and apologizing to her! Then I am more careful with my emotions. Hmmm – healthier for me, healthier for her. She also wants to be in the same room as me, but she is not a cuddle dog. When I came home from the hospital, she was right there. She sniffed me and then stayed in the same room. Slept right next to the couch or bed, but, did not want to be right next to me to cuddle. In fact, the only “cuddling” she likes is when I kneel next to her and put my arm around her and she pushes her head into me. I think of that push as her hug.

Puggles, or Truffles the Pug. Now there is a cuddler! If you sit on the couch, there he comes and he wants to be right next to you! Loves to push himself in between David and I on the bed. Loves to work – but only for the cookies. If the cookies get too far away, well then he just stops and stares! Loves to walk, but only in the afternoon! These early morning walks I do with the dogs are just not Pug’s style. He is a cuddle buddy, a gentle soul, a special companion. I just love having him as part of our household.

Michette – she is really my mom’s dog and at home, that is where you find her, where ever my mom is. She is a very special companion to her, very protective and easily jealous of other dogs. Barks every time one of us goes into my mom’s rooms! Yet, When my mom is not here for a few days, then she can blend into the rest of the house very nicely and be a great part of the pack, and a full member of the family. She has that split personality almost. In the last few months, I have found that she really does enjoy coming up to me and getting special pets and attention. After so many years, is she mellowing??

And Pippin. He loves to work, needs to work, has so much physical and mental energy that work is a joy. He can work all day. Oh – I wish I could give him some sheep or something to watch over! Has become a ball fanatic!! When we come home he runs out back and waits – will we go out and throw the ball for him???? But, I have found another side of him. That side that greets me every morning with a climb on the bed and a special lick “Hi Mom! I am so happy to start the day with you!” The side of him that stays with me throughout the day and gives me hugs and attention, not asking for anything, just attention. The special part of him who became a “nurse” for the first 2 days when I came home from the hospital. He stayed with me, right at my side on the couch or bed, nose touching me, making sure I was okay. This guy is the one who COMES when there is some tension (me yelling at the computer for example) asking “what’s wrong???” and gives me that special hug and kiss.

There is more to our world than training. When we looked for a dog to join our family, we did not look for the dog that had the best physical built, the one that would run the fastest, the breed that “learns the best” (is there one??). We looked for personality, WHO they were, for their soul. They joined the family as a family member. We train as an extra bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment