Sunday, June 12, 2011

Right & Left

So today I did a “formal” training session with Pippin. With some help, the bedroom was cleared of dogs beds and I worked with platforms, thanks to Michele Pouliott.

Background: I am trying to teach Pippin “right” and “left” – where he would look in the correct direction when given the command or if I say “go right” or “go left” then he would run right or left.

I have been working this at first where Pip is sitting in front of me, and I am behind him so we are facing the same direction. I will say “right” and give him a cookie from my right hand. Repeat same direction. Then do “left”, and repeat. Do 2 or 3 rights, do 2 or 3 lefts, back and forth. We got to the point where he was able to look in the correct direction without a hand movement, and then I could click and then treat. After a few successful sessions, I turned it around so he was facing me. What happened here is that I would get great attention and he had a hard time looking away from me.

SO – went back to 1st exercise to establish what I was asking for but added a new component – toss the cookie. I would say “go right” and toss cookie right. He would look and then run. Pretty soon, the look and run were simultaneous –in both directions. Next step – give command “go right” or “go left” and wait for dog to move before tossing cookies. This went much slower. Pip was looking for the cookie. I would wait. Slowly he would move in the correct direction and I would click and toss cookie. I was looking for a step in the correct direction so I could confirm to him that “yes, you walk out that way and you get reward”. But, we never got past the slow walk. I could never get from Pip a confident move in the correct direction.

So – in come my platforms. I have 2 small ones that he puts his 2 front feet on, to the command of “foot”. I put these two out on either ends of my rug, about 5 feet apart from each other. Pippin and I were stationed at the mid point from these but about 3 feet away (think triangle – we were at the vertex). I would command “foot right” and use my right arm to direct to the right. Pippin would run to the right platform and put both front feet on. Cookie. Repeat and then do other side. Repeat a few times both sides. No clicking as I was showing him with my hand which platform I wanted.

Then, here is where I am not sure if I am moving too fast or not. I took away my hand and just gave the command “foot right”. Hesitation from Pip. Not sure which way to go. Slow walking in the correct direction. Then I realized my quandary: WHEN TO CLICK???? I did not know if I should click the fact that he was moving in the correct direction (right) or should I wait until he did the foot? I decided to click the movement in the correct direction. After all, he knows foot – we are working on direction, yes?
Result: after a few repetitions, what we ended up with was slow walking to the correct direction, but not sure if he was to do “Foot” or not. After all, he was clicked on the walking. HE would look at me before he got to the platform.

I feel that I am confusing my poor dog. I am trying to teach him not only to look in the correct directions, but to move in that direction as well. THOUGHTS? Would love some feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment